I’m obsessed with a good salad and I’m always looking for new ideas or ingredients. When eating out is usually the salad that disappoints me. There really is nothing wrong than mouth watering description followed by 3 sad spinach leaves with a couple of cubes of roasted butternut squash, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
A salad is easy enough to make and I can imagine you won’t be necessarily searching for a new recipe for one. Simple doesn’t have to be boring though!
It’s time to mix things up and make salads exciting, delicious and something you actually crave…And once you get creative and find your flow, you won’t look back!
You obviously know that salads are good for you, and it’s my job, as your coach, to remind you that they can provide you a healthy helping of nutrient-packed greens, nourishing raw veggies and an extra pep in your step afterwards.
In my attempt to save your plate (and palate!) from the summer of boredom
Here are 3 tips for making killer salads that you will long for:
- Use ingredients that are fresh and in season. Take a trip to the Farmers Market or your local healthy grocery store to pick up some local, fresh and in season produce…your taste buds will thank you. For some inspiration, a few of my favorite veggies currently in season are asparagus, wet garlic, and broad beans.
- Mix it up. Get creative with your ingredients and play with mixing textures. Combining raw veggies with one cooked veggie can really take it up a notch. For example, roasting some broccoli, mushrooms or onions to add to your salad will add an interesting and delicious element to your plate. Do you already have some ideas brewing? Don’t forget the fruit! Adding berries to a summer salad is refreshing and quenches that taste for something sweet.
- Spin your greens. After you wash your greens, spinning them dry will help them not become soggy or too wet to absorb your ingredients and dressing. So break out that Salad Spinner and spin away!
Are your ideas brewing already? What are you inspired to throw in your next salad? Tell me what you’re ‘cookin’ up in the comments.
I know you’ll want something special to put atop that delectable salad in your near future, so I’ve included one of my favorite easy, homemade salad dressing recipes for you below. Enjoy!
Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Olive oil — 1/2 cup
- Balsamic Vinegar — 1/3 cup
- Dijon Mustard — 1⁄2 teaspoon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Basil — 1⁄2 teaspoon
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Combine in jar with lid, shake and store.
I can’t wait to see your salad creations, make sure you tag me in your posts on Instagram and Facebook.
Lots of Love