The world we live in is toxic, the air we breathe is full of pollution, our water is not 100% clean. Fortunately, there are many things we can avoid and control when it comes to what enters our bodies. Choosing to fuel ourselves with foods that naturally fight toxins is an essential step in decreasing our toxic load.
Here are five foods that naturally detox the body…
1. Garlic. Packed with sulfur – a mineral that supports the body in detoxification. Garlic is also extremely valuable to the body as it contains antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties that keep your immune system resilient. Best news yet – it’s delicious and a great addition to almost any meal. So, eat up!
2. Turmeric. You may know this beneficial herb as the main spice in curry. Great for inflammation, free-radical fighting antioxidants, and detoxing the liver. You can use turmeric to season your veggies, add into your soups, take it as a supplement or make a homemade turmeric tea. (recipe below)
3. Leafy greens. It’s no surprise that I’m telling you how advantageous it is to eat your greens, right? Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, getting greens into your diet will leave you with lasting results. Greens are also filled with fiber which helps you to feel satisfied longer. You can be sure to get your greens in salads, green smoothies, juicing and cooking your greens into your meals.
4. Dandelion Root. You may not have been expecting that one! Yes, dandelion root has incredible health benefits – especially beneficial for your digestive system and your liver. A favorite way to add this into my diet is by drinking dandelion root tea, which you can pick up at your health food store.
5. Beets. Beets are fantastic for detoxing the liver, among the tremendous amount of antioxidants, calcium and vitamins they possess. I love my beets juiced (with a few celery sticks, lime and a cucumber) or roasted (simply wrap your beets with some salt, garlic cloves and a little oil in a piece of kitchen foil and roast in the hot oven until soft).
Detox Tip: If you notice, some of these detox benefits include detoxing the liver. When the liver is clean and functioning optimally, your body is better able to balance your energy, hormones, and the rest of your body functions more pleasantly.
Homemade Turmeric Tea Recipe
• 3 cups of water
• 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
• Honey to taste (optional)
• Cinnamon to taste (optional)
• ½ teaspoon of ginger (optional)
Blend all ingredients together in a blender, pour into small pan and heat on the stove until the desired temperature is reached. Enjoy!
I’ll be diving deeper into toxins and how they stop you from losing weight during my upcoming workshop on Thursday. Make sure you join here (yes, of course it will be recorded) and claim your free gift – 5 steps to optimal health. I will see you on the inside.