Yes, Valentine’s Day is over, but you’re not off the hook. We’ll continue to talk about love for just a little bit longer. Yes, my friend and will talk about the all-important, and so easily neglected, self – love.
Contrary to the popular belief self-love is not selfish. In order to take care of your loved ones, your job, your duties and responsibilities, you have to be in a good shape yourself. There is something about putting your own oxygen mask on first, you know?Self-love is not selfish. Click To Tweet
I used to take pride in the fact that I was so busy I didn’t have time for self – care. Going out with my friends? Getting a massage? Sleeping 8 hours a night? No, thank you, I’ll just have another cup of coffee and be miserable.
Here are five easy practices you can start today to increase your self – love.
- Sit down and breathe – find a quite space and do just that – sit and breathe for 5 – 10 minutes. Not only will this reduce stress, and calm your nervous system, but it will also create space for your natural self – love to emerge
- Grow – take time to learn something new. You don’t have to sign up for PhD, but how about learning 1 new word in the language you’ve always wanted to speak? Or signing up for a make-up class?
- Make time for fun. Yes, MAKE TIME, don’t just wait for when you have some spare time, because it will never happen. Schedule FUN activities in your diary and make them non-negotiable. This will increase your productivity, creativity and life enjoyment.
- Let it go. Yes, shit happens, but suffering is optional as my friend likes to say. Write down your worries on a piece of paper, take a deep breath and then rip it up and throw it out.
- Spread the love – don’t hold back, compliment at least 3 people every day. People love hearing compliments! This will boost their confidence, brighten up their day and put a smile on your face.
I would love to hear from you – how do you show self – love? Please share in comments.
PS Do you know what love language do you speak? If you want to find out take the quiz below and share your results!