I am travelling to Scotland next week, the country famed for deep frying Mars bars, so I am not leaving anything to chance and going prepared. I made my gluten free bread and black beans burgers yesterday and now planning my snacks.
So here is what I will be packing, especially for the long train journey:
- ½ grapefruit with 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut and 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1 green apple with 2 tablespoons of tahini
- Celery sticks with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seed pâté
- 2 protein balls
- ½ cup berries with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds with ½ grapefruit
- ½ cup pineapple with ⅛ cup sunflower seeds
Other snack ideas:
- ½ sweet potato with 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds, a sprinkle of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of raw honey
- 1 green juice with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- ¼ avocado with a slice of tomato and sea salt
I obviously couldn’t leave you without recipes, to take your snacking to yet another level.
Raw Cocoa Milkshake
Makes 1 serving
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 frozen banana
1 tablespoon of raw honey or 1-2 drops of stevia (optional)
Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Rosemary garlic bean free hummus
Makes 4 servings
2 raw zucchini, chopped
3/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon rosemary (fresh or dried)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 garlic cloves
Add all the ingredients to a blender or processor and blend until smooth.Adjust seasonig and enjoy.
Makes 2-3 Servings
I never seem to get enough of these, so eat at your own risk.
1 bunch kale (Lacinato or curly variety)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon smoked OR sweet paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 300° F (150 C).
Wash and dry the kale. Rip the kale into bite-sized pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Bake the kale for 20 minutes and serve immediately.
Now over to you – what are some of your favourite snacks? Let me know in the comments below.